A brief history of The Taber Evangelical Mennonite Church
Taber Evangelical Mennonite Church began services in 1994 and was formally organized in 1996.
Taber, Alberta was settled in 1903-1910, largely by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) from the United States, only 98 kilometres away. From 1926 to the 1950s, there was an influx of immigrants from central Europe, Japan, Poland and The Netherlands. Low German-speaking Mennonites began to move there in the 1980s.
Peter and Anne Wiebe, Evangelical Mennonite Conference (EMC) workers, moved into Taber area on 26 April 1994 and began holding services in their home in June 1994. By August, services were moved to the Taber Mennonite Church (a General Conference Mennonite church). In 1995 the Moose Hall was purchased. On 29 October 1995, the congregation was organized with 14 members and it was formally received as an EMC church on 6 July 1996.
Pastoral couples have been Peter and Anne Wiebe (1994-2000), Edwin and Lillian Plett (2000-2006), Dave and Audrey Wiebe (2006-2013), and Dick and Margaret Loewen (2013 -Current).